"Beam-ectomy should precede all mote micro-surgery. Just saying." Ginger Conrad paraphrasing Jesus Christ.

Paradigm Shift

“The list of health problems I think it would very hard to live with is SO much longer than the list of foods I previously thought I couldn’t live without,” Merrill Alley.

Sunday, February 9, 2014

more wagging less barking no biting

Praying For...Tyson, our very nice 6-year-old grandson. He loves legos and soccer. I pray that he will be safe, healthy, and happy during his childhood. I pray that those around him and in our culture at large will respect the innocence of childhood. I pray that leaders of nations will turn to God and stop their power-hungry, blood-thirsty actions. Let the seek the liberty and happiness of their people instead of seeking to force false and sinful agendas.

Bibliophilia...sent Tyson The Knight at Dawn. My boys loved these books as beginning readers. I also read a wonderful children's book, Listening for Lions by Gloria Whelan. As I think over the story, I'm captivated by the girl's choice toward honest, modesty, thrift, kindness, and self-reliance. Every girl of 11 or 12 should read it as well as any woman like me who prefers smut-free interesting books.

Movement for Jesus...for a long time, I've listened to General Conference talks during my chore time. I like using this mentally unchallenging time to be instructed in the gospel. Lately, I've added another gospel listening feature to an otherwise mind numbing activity. During the 30-60 minutes I spend stretching, foam rolling, and so forth, I listen to audio scriptures on my phone through a free app, LDS Standard Works. Full of resources, I use this app every day for something. Last Sunday, I turned on Primary instrumental music during my class' coloring and game time. It helped maintain a peaceful atmosphere. Back to the point, listening to scripture during this otherwise boring activity has helped me stay interested and fulfill my commitment to myself. In the past, I loose interest without any mental stimulation. Plus, listening to scripture helps me keep my word to Sammy; we've made a pact to read the Book of Mormon before her baptism in September. Next year, we'll tackle the New Testament followed by the Old Testament and Doctrine and Covenants.

Cucina Fresca...We went to my favorite Indian restaurant this week. Both vegetarian and kosher, I feel confident with the food. Although there is dairy in lots of things, they have a few vegan offerings. I've always eaten my obligatory salad there, but this time I tried something new. I put mint chutney on it and discovered the best salad dressing known to man. In fact I made some dressing this morning to take to a church friend's house for lunch. Sadly, there will be no lunch with friends today (see below), but serendipitously, I get to eat all the mint chutney I want. It'll be salad heaven today. 2 bunches cilantro, 1 bunch mint leaves, sliver of fresh garlic clove, 1/2 serrano pepper, juice of one large lime, salt...blend in magic bullet until smooth. Chill and serve over salad or rice.

Garden Gate...my little collard tree cutting is growing some new leaves. That means it survived and will thrive in my attic green house. Also, some of my moringa plants have germinated. One little plant is about 3 inches tall with tiny leaves. It's so exciting to grown tropical plants, when there is two inches of snow on the ground outside. Oh, yes, snow...it is rare in the Pacific NW, but does occur on occasion. It's so rare that nobody here can drive in it. Plus, the hills are pretty steep in places, making driving treacherous for even the best snow driving veterans. Soooo...church was cancelled. Can you believe that? We're going to take out our lemon tree and put in a sumatra mandarin. As it turns out the lemon is really a citron, bred for thick skin and not for tasty flesh. It is horrible as a lemon. Later we want to put in several varieties of mandarine as espaliers along our south facing wall outside our living/dining room: clementine, murcot, yosemite, and gold nugget. Then we'll have a succession for about 10 months of the year if all goes well. We love eating mandarins. We also have plans to espalier a different type of lemon, lime, several mangos, avocado, guava, figs, and several tropicals on south facing walls. If they are along walls we can easily erect a pretty framework, which will allow for easy covering on the rare freezing days. Something kind of like this, which will also help us keep them to 6 feet. I don't want to stand on any ladders to pick fruit.



Sound of Music...Our Primary is learning The Family Is Of God this month. It is new to me; it's wonderful. We're also reviewing I Will Follow God's Plan, an old favorite.

My life is a gift; my life has a plan.
My life has a purpose; in heav'n it began.
My choice was to come to this lovely home on earth
And seek for God's light to direct me from birth.
I will follow God's plan for me,
Holding fast to his word and his love.
I will work, and I will pray;
I will always walk in his way.
Then I will be happy on earth
And in my home above.