"Beam-ectomy should precede all mote micro-surgery. Just saying." Ginger Conrad paraphrasing Jesus Christ.

Paradigm Shift

“The list of health problems I think it would very hard to live with is SO much longer than the list of foods I previously thought I couldn’t live without,” Merrill Alley.

Tuesday, March 18, 2014

sweeties

Praying For...Oakley, our beautiful seven-year-old birthday girl. As with the other grandchildren, we've given her the seven-year-old challenge, to read the Book of Mormon while listening to the CDs by her baptism date next year. We sent her a Book of Mormon, CDs, and The Children's Songbook on CD as well as a game. I pray that she reads and gains a testimony of the gospel of Jesus Christ. I pray that her family continues their scripture study of the Bible. I pray that she will know Jesus as a friend and personal Savior. I pray that the world she grows up in will be more gentle, kind, loving, and Christ-like. I pray that she learns to be charitable, loyal, smart, prayerful, and faithful.

Cucina Fresca...nothing new these days...still eating legumes, whole grains, fruit, sprouts, and tons of veggies. It is only hard once in awhile to leave the sweeties behind. I keep thinking of the White Witch in The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe movie. "You're here because HE turned you in...for sweeties." I don't want to turn in my health for a sweet or savory bite. Taste only lasts a short time, while damage, pain, and suffering obtained from oils, animal products, and processed sweets/grains lasts a long, long time. Plus, the things I make without oil, animal products, or processed foods are utterly delicious. Today, I'm making kale enchiladas with salsa verde from my famous slow cooked onions and mushrooms/greens concoction. I cook the onions (and sometimes garlic) and mushrooms with some water, herbs, and spices on low heat for about an hour. After they are soft and golden, I add a pound or so of kale and 1 T of water, cooking for 5-10 minutes. If it is too wet, I stir in some tapioca or arrow root. The mixture is rolled in soft corn tortillas. This is topped with a pureed, mild sauce of the same onions, canned green chilies, vegetable broth, and tapioca or arrow root. If I have any pintos cooked, I'll eat them along with rice on the side. Delicious!

The Grands...Sammy and Quinn love our old tramp. I have such fond memories of watching our children jump for joy. They were fit and strong with constant exercise. All the children in the neighborhood enjoyed our fun house especially the back yard with the sports court, big toy, and tramp.