"Beam-ectomy should precede all mote micro-surgery. Just saying." Ginger Conrad paraphrasing Jesus Christ.

Paradigm Shift

“The list of health problems I think it would very hard to live with is SO much longer than the list of foods I previously thought I couldn’t live without,” Merrill Alley.

Sunday, May 25, 2014

clap along if you feel like weirdness is ok

Praying For...Quinn, our ninja boy. He is so funny and earnest and happy. I pray that he will of course be happy, healthy, safe, and know Jesus. I pray that the world will be a safe place for him to grow up or at least he can escape most of the evil that surrounds him. I pray that his parents will know the best way to nurture his special spirit to guard against rebellion. I pray that the leaders of nations will cease using religion or anti-religion as a weapon against their people. I pray that religious persecution will cease, allowing people to worship and believe how, where, and what they may according to the dictates of their consciences. I pray that communities will unit in the protection of children.

Jesus' Word..."A brother offended is harder to be won than a strong city." Proverbs 18:19 I so want to become a hermit, because I can't seem to turn around without unintentionally offending someone.

Cucina Fresca...I made a delicious version of Savory Griddle Cakes from Dr McDougall's Advanced Study Weekend but still need to do some tweaking to the recipe. His recipe included olives, which are on my sometimes don't agree with me list. I put them in my recipe and decided they detracted from the flavor. His recipe recommended a red pepper sauce that we didn't think was too wonderful. Either basil or cilantro should be good herbs to try with a possible addition of fresh thyme or oregano. A chopped salsa of tomato, herbs, garlic, balsamic vinegar or lemon juice, and green onions will be much better than the pepper sauce I'm thinking. This is where I'm at so far.

1 1/4 c oat milk (reduced by a couple T from McDougall recipe because the batter was a bit thin)
1 T fresh lemon juice
1 c fine cornmeal
1/3 c brown rice flour (Up by a couple T from McDougall's recipe for the same thin batter problem)
2 t non-aluminum baking powder
½ t baking soda
dash salt
1 c frozen corn kernels, thawed
1 c grated zucchini
½ c chopped green onions
2 T chopped pimiento, well drained
2 T chopped fresh cilantro

This would also be good as a sweet recipe. Keep the corn and zucchini, but replace the onions, pimiento, and cilantro with berries. Top with a more berries and a teaspoon of maple syrup...we have a new yummy brunch recipe.

Pen and Brush...a young girl I tutor is making some progress. As I often do with young people that need help with penmanship, I give her drawing lessons from a series, Draw Write Now. It's been some time, since I used these books; I forgot how much I liked them. The instructions are simplistic and don't teach shading and all that, but they are fun. So I've been drawing again with these tutorials, but adding the shading and so forth. However, I'm into colored pencil again. Likely, I'll watercolor again, when I can ignore my phone again in a few months. Being interrupted in the middle of a painting ruins it.

Teaching Little Children...I am taking full advantage to love my little class, since that time is swiftly drawing to a close. I am considering keeping a couple of them as honorary grandchildren and putting them in my grandchild of the week rotation. I'm having great success working with my two newest tutoring students. They are challenging but are so earnest and honest in their pursuit of knowledge. The young man is learning to read at a rapid pace. After I gave him the story of Ben Carson and then William Kamkwamba, he has changed his mind about scholarly work. He has decided he can be smart if he wants. I teach reading with Alpha Phonics among other things as I know phonics to be the best way to learn this skill. During our sessions, we read a few lessons. Then I assign homework to be read with a parent or older sibling that is a good reader. This boy surprised me and is on lesson 50 after only 4 sessions together. Likewise with math, he's learning multiplication quickly. The little girl is trying hard too, working at a comfortable pace. We have so much fun together.

Garden Gate...the new tomato I planted is going crazy in my sultry attic greenhouse. Actually, everything except the cilantro loves the heat and humidity up there.

Sound of Music...the ukulele is so much fun and so easy...still, there is a lot to learn to get good at it. Getting good isn't really my goal. I simply love to sing and play for fun. I mustn't let the joy of the uke overshadow my love of violin. It would be easy to do, since proficiency on the uke is nearly guaranteed compared to the violin.

Crowning Glory...thankfully my hair grows fast...It's just past my shoulders now. The no-poo baking soda and vinegar is working well. Since it's shorter, my hair looks much fuller. Without all the WEN product weighing it down, it is bouncier, too. Hopefully, I've finally figured out how to care for my greying hair now very wavy hair. Grey hair is so much different than regular hair. Wavy-curly hair has a whole set of issues that never come up with straight hair. I am sort of obsessed with hair and notice other people with lovely locks everywhere. I'm always complimenting people on their hair, which Emily says is a weird fetish. Don't we all have weird things about us? Clap along if you feel like weirdness is ok!