"Beam-ectomy should precede all mote micro-surgery. Just saying." Ginger Conrad paraphrasing Jesus Christ.

Paradigm Shift

“The list of health problems I think it would very hard to live with is SO much longer than the list of foods I previously thought I couldn’t live without,” Merrill Alley.

Friday, June 13, 2014

the long view

This week I studied the sermon, A Priceless Heritage of Hope by Henry B. Eyring. All quotes come from this sermon unless otherwise noted.

"We can depend on that unfailing desire of the Savior to bring all of Heavenly Father’s spirit children back to their home with Him. Every faithful parent, grandparent, and great-grandparent shares in that desire. Heavenly Father and the Savior are our perfect examples of what we can and must do. They never force righteousness because righteousness must be chosen. They make righteousness discernible to us, and They let us see that its fruits are delicious.

Every person born into the world receives the Light of Christ, which helps us see and feel what is right and what is wrong.God makes it attractive to choose the right by letting us feel the effects of our choices. If we choose the right, we will find happiness—in time. If we choose evil, there comes sorrow and regret—in time. Those effects are sure. Yet they are often delayed for a purpose. If the blessings were immediate, choosing the right would not build faith. And since sorrow is also sometimes greatly delayed, it takes faith to feel the need to seek forgiveness for sin early rather than after we feel its sorrowful and painful effects...they will remember the hymns they sang with you. Even more than recalling music, they will remember the words of scripture and testimony. The Holy Ghost can bring all things to their remembrance, but the words of scriptures and hymns will last the longest. Those memories will exert a pull that may bring them back when they wander for a time, possibly for years, from the pathway home to eternal life..."

I always learn so much from the simple ideas of Brother Eyring. This time he speaks of being true to covenants, choosing the right, and being a good example of a believer for our own happiness and that of our loved ones. The idea of peacefully taking the long view with family members appeals to me. I love each and every member of my family. I want them to know the joy I know. Just yesterday, I got a letter from a grandchild thanking me for recent gifts. For years, I sent this child cards and gifts with only a rare thank you phone text. Now, she often sends cards and calls me on the phone. It was hard to be patient, but taking the long view with love and affection panned out. Without force or shame to write or call out of duty, all choice for actions were left in her court. Now I have a friend as well as a granddaughter. Hopefully, other situations where the long view is needed will bear similar results; my heart tells me it may be so.