"Beam-ectomy should precede all mote micro-surgery. Just saying." Ginger Conrad paraphrasing Jesus Christ.

Paradigm Shift

“The list of health problems I think it would very hard to live with is SO much longer than the list of foods I previously thought I couldn’t live without,” Merrill Alley.

Tuesday, July 1, 2014

choosing obedience and joy

Deposition from the Cross, Rembrant  1635 

Still working on my study of the 5th chapter of Jesus the Christ by Talmage. All quotes are from Talmage's study guide unless otherwise noted.

Genesis 49:10
Deuteronomy 18:15-19
John 1:45
Acts 3:22; 7:37
3 Nephi 20:23
1 Corinthians 5:7
1 Peter 1:19
John 1:29

"The paschal lamb, slain for every Israelitish household at the annually recurring feast of the Passover, was a particular type of the Lamb of God who in due time would be slain for the sins of the world. The crucifixion of Christ was effected at the Passover season; and the consummation of the supreme[Pg 46] Sacrifice, of which the paschal lambs had been but lesser prototypes, led Paul the apostle to affirm in later times: 'For even Christ our passover is sacrificed for us,' 1 Corinthians 5:7"

The life and mission of Jesus was foretold for thousands of years. In fact the ritual sacrifices of the Hebrews was a constant reminder of what Jesus, the lamb of God, would do for the world. Words cannot describe my gratitude to Jesus Christ for accepting this magnificent, wondrous calling, which He personally did for me. Of course He sacrificed thusly for every person born on earth. However, a tiny microsecond of His beautiful sacrifice was for my personal salvation.

Every time I consider this I think of the Rembrant painting, where Rembrant himself is on the crew lifting up the cross. Although neither I nor Rembrant can go back in time to change anything, Rembrant illustrates the idea that each of our sins brought pain to Him who died for us. In order to remove a bit of pain, which we cannot do because it was centuries ago, we must strive to live the best Christian lives our weak mortal selves can muster.

Yes, this view is unpopular with those 'Christians' who don't think we have to live Christian lives according to the commandments and example of Jesus. However, Jesus didn't set forth His commandments as suggestions or require His biography to be recorded for a nice bedtime story. He set forth a pattern of goodness and sacrifice for emulation. No, I don't believe my works will save me; that was Jesus' job. Nevertheless, I wish to please my Savior and my Heavenly Father through obedience to their wishes. I liken this to my own children. Even if they obeyed every single rule and regulation of our home culture, they could not support themselves emotionally or financially while children. Choosing to obey their parents, my children brought peace and joy into their family society, as well as increasing the favor of their parents toward them.

,