"Beam-ectomy should precede all mote micro-surgery. Just saying." Ginger Conrad paraphrasing Jesus Christ.

Paradigm Shift

“The list of health problems I think it would very hard to live with is SO much longer than the list of foods I previously thought I couldn’t live without,” Merrill Alley.

Sunday, September 28, 2014

joy is full

Praying For...Claire and Lena to be happy, healthy, safe, followers of Jesus, and love learning...that they will have peaceful and positive childhoods...that they love their neighbors, and their neighbors love them...that they learn the joy in living the commandments of God...

Jesus Word..."These things have I spoken unto you, that my joy might remain in you, and that your joy might be full," John 15:11. Today, the children of the congregation we are visiting performed their yearly program. I have to say, this is my favorite Sunday of the year. Certainly, there is childish behavior but to feel of their sweetness and see their light is worth a bit if shyness, silliness, and even a few tears. A couple little boys were part of special singing groups. For some reason these two tone deaf boys stood in front of the microphone. Although it was funny and sweet, we had to suppress laughter. Nobody wanted to hurt their feelings. My joy is full.

Cucina Fresca...I thought I made this up, but that was pretty arrogant of me. Still, I had never heard of it before. True, I've made lots of mushroom tacos with white mushrooms, but to me these were going to be an original play on my old carnivorous favorite carne asada. Well, great minds think alike. AND I had the best vegan dish at a Mexican place on vacation, calabacitas. I've seen the recipe other places, but it didn't sound wonderful. However, when eating out, vegans have very few choices beyond a bowl of whole beans with corn tortillas and salsa. Anyway, I asked the restaurant what seasonings were in it, and here we are. Either or both are good fillings for soft corn (or fresh oat) tortillas (or over brown rice) with beans, salsa, and cabbage/lettuce. OR either can be used as a filling for enchiladas with a little red sauce on top and mashed seasoned beans on the side. Enjoy! I know I will.

Mushroom Asada

1/2 t cumin
1/2 t smoked paprika
1/2 t ancho powder
1 serrano pepper, seeded and minced (optional)
1/4 t oregano
1/2 clove garlic, pressed
juice and zest of 1 lime
juice of half an orange
2 twists of black pepper
1 bunch green onions, whites and greens separated and sliced (reserve greens)
1/3 each orange, yellow, and red bell pepper (reserve)
2 portabello mushrooms


Marinate mushrooms for at least an hour. In a large frying pan with a lid, place marinated veg over high heat. As soon as the mushrooms begin to sizzle, turn down the heat and cover. Add a bit of water if they dry out before they are tender--prop open lid if they are too wet. Cook until mushrooms are soft and tender, about 20-30 minutes. Turn off heat and stir in green onions and bell peppers. Cover. Heat tortillas and beans. Build your own soft tacos with mushrooms, beans, salsa, and slaw-cut cabbage.

Calabacitas

1 small zucchini, diced 1/4 inch
1 small yellow summer squash, diced 1/4 inch
1/3 red pepper, diced 1/4 inch
1/4 c frozen corn
1/4 t garlic powder
1/2 t ancho powder
1/8 t smoked paprika
dash cumin
a couple twists pepper

In a large frying pan with a lid, place over high heat with a bit of water. As soon as the squash begin to sizzle, turn down the heat and cover. Cook until squash is tender crisp, about 5-10 minutes. Remove from heat. Heat tortillas and beans. Build your own soft tacos with calabacitas, beans, salsa, and slaw-cut cabbage.

Garden Gate...working on a plan to plant fruit and perennial veg in my home garden. My hope is to have fruit, vegetables, and flowers every day of the year from the garden. Although it's too small to grow all my food, at least I can supplement my purchases quite a bit...if I'm successful. Hopefully, it will be a beautiful oasis.

Sound of Music...this has been the week of the ukulele. We toured the Kamaka factory. At the swap meet (the only place to buy things at a good price here), one shop owner showed us the difference when the neck is slightly wider and the wood is not veneer. After playing a Kamaka and a Kanile'a, I've decided I like the action of the latter's slightly wider neck. Bar chords are easy. Plus, both of these are completely US made, which I want to support. But...and this is a big but...before I get another instrument, I need to become more accomplished. Although I still love to play violin, the ukulele has become a new love that gets a bit more attention than my old friend.