"Beam-ectomy should precede all mote micro-surgery. Just saying." Ginger Conrad paraphrasing Jesus Christ.

Paradigm Shift

“The list of health problems I think it would very hard to live with is SO much longer than the list of foods I previously thought I couldn’t live without,” Merrill Alley.

Sunday, October 19, 2014

gangbusters

Praying For...Gayle and Lizzy C...that they will be happy, healthy, safe, scholarly, and faithful...that they will be spared the problems of this world like so many children facing poverty or even war that seem oblivious to the deprivations...that they will love their neighbors and pray for their enemies and vice versa...that leaders of nations will make choices that strengthen families and protect liberty...that their communities will protect childhood and grow gardens instead of cultivating more incivility.

Jesus Word..."Order my steps in thy word: and let not any iniquity have dominion over me," Psalm 119:133. I've noticed when I have a schedule, I stay closer to God. Strange? Maybe, nevertheless, order seems to keep my mind from iniquity or at least from idleness. It's odd to be grateful for something like an IPhone, but I love how the calendar feature helps me stay orderly with schedules, birthdays, shopping lists, and such.

Garden Gate...I got my windowfarm up and going as well as four pots of moringa started. Moringa is the perfect green for soups and smoothies. It's amazing that it is so unknown. Not only is it an amazing food source, it is a beautiful landscape plant/tree. My sprout farm is growing like gangbusters. Because of the warmth, they only take 4-5 days to mature instead of the 6-8 days in the Pacific NW. Sprouts are again replacing lettuce in our salads, since they are so much more nutritious and delicious.

Movement...Gardening and Ginjoga are helping with mood and fitness. I just got a hula hoop, too. It is so much fun and great for core strengthening. Actually, it isn't an official hula hoop. The ones made now aren't like those from my childhood. My hoop is a canyon hoop.

Sound of Music...now that my virus headache is mostly gone, I can play my violin again. I've missed it very much. Still enjoying the ukulele. I'm almost good enough to sing along as I play.

Viewing Pleasure...saw Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No-Good, Very Bad Day and thoroughly enjoyed it. I thought it would be raunchy with Steve Carell, but it was a definite family flic. The book it was based on holds a special place in my heart, as it was the book one close family friend brought to read to Katie in the hospital. We had to turn him away, but I'll never forget the thoughtfulness of that act.

Cucina Fresca...I love bread and have since I can remember. No, I didn't ever care for the day old, stale Orowheat of my childhood. However, I became quite proficient in making all manner of whole wheat breads. Then my wheat allergy forced me to cease and desist. I never missed cheese, meat, butter, eggs, or any of the other things that health and conscience caused me to stop eating. But bread....I've experimented with all sorts of gluten free options, some which have been passible. I even followed Ann Esselstyn's waffle advice. None satisfied my bread need....until now...

I had a heart iron years ago, when my children were little. After thousands of Sunday morning waffles, it quit working. I tend to wear out appliances, because they don't sit in the cabinet gathering dust. Since then I've purchased and used lots of others with varying degrees of success. My husband bought me this for my b-day along with the Belgian one I requested. After a trial run of both, I donated the Belgian to charity. My current recipe is a dramatic departure of the fat filled processed food variety of yesteryear. Delicious, simple and very healthy, it remains the best way to eat a bowl of oatmeal in the history of mush for breakfast Blend 3 cups GF rolled oats, 2.5 cups water, one banana, and 1/2 t optional salt until smooth. Stir in 1/2 t baking powder. Cook according to your waffler's directions. When topped with strawberries and frozen banana ice kream, they fill the traditional birthday breakfast bill beautifully. Homemade fresh applesauce brings back our old Sunday morning habit. Leftovers can be used for all sorts of bread applications such as sprout and avocado sandwiches and Navajo tacos.

J gave this Chef's Choice M840 WafflePro Express Waffle Maker, Traditional Five of Hearts to me for my birthday.

I've also perfected my Oil-Free Sambar recipe, which I like to eat often.

2 T lentils or split mung beans
2 T brown rice
1/4 t red pepper flakes or 1/4 t cayenne
1/2 t Mustard seeds
1/2 t Cumin seeds
1/2 t Fenugreek seeds
2 sprigs Curry leaves
1 garlic cloves, pressed
1 small onion, chopped
Salt
Water
1 moringa drum sticks, peeled and cut 1/2 inch
OR 1c asparagus, 1 inch pieces (reserve)
1 potato, diced
1 c diced summer (reserve) or winter squash
1 c moringa leaves or chopped cabbage (reserve)
3 roma tomatoes, diced
1 T sambar curry powder
1/4 t tamarind extract
1/2 c chopped cilantro (reserve)


Soak beans and rice for a few hours up to 24. Rinse and drain. In a medium hot pan stir red chilies, mustard seeds, cumin seeds, when they crackle, add fenugreek seeds, curry leaves, garlic, and chopped onions and cook for few minutes. Add water, potatoes, soaked beans and rice, salt, drumstick, and tomatoes. Cover and cook for 7-8 minutes. Add sambar powder, asparagus, morninga leaves, and summer squash if using, and cook for 3 minutes. Add tamarind juice, and cook for 2 minutes. Stir in cilantro and serve hot with as is or with more rice. In southern India, this is eaten for breakfast, lunch, or dinner.