"Beam-ectomy should precede all mote micro-surgery. Just saying." Ginger Conrad paraphrasing Jesus Christ.

Paradigm Shift

“The list of health problems I think it would very hard to live with is SO much longer than the list of foods I previously thought I couldn’t live without,” Merrill Alley.

Sunday, November 2, 2014

innovative girl

Praying For...Oakley, a very fine little bookworm after her Grammy's heart...that she will choose and circumstances will support good health, happy days, excellent scholarship, and faith in Jesus Christ...that the leaders of nations will leave off usurping the liberties of their citizens and support actions that will build families, protect children, encourage social bonds, build economic well-being, and increase domestic tranquility...that she will demonstrate her faith in Christ by loving her neighbor...and that her childhood will not know the evils of this world.

Jesus Word..."Fear thou not; for I am with thee: be not dismayed; for I am thy God: I will strengthen thee; yea, I will help thee; yea, I will uphold thee with the right hand of my righteousness," Isaiah 41:10. This week has been a time of highs and lows. With the temple in the forefront of my activities, I saw the beauty of the gospel through the eyes of some loved ones. As much as the building is beautiful and peaceful, the worship and purpose of the place is marvelous. Although I wish I could continue to take loved ones to the open house, it ended yesterday. Probably, this is good, because now I can be more consistent with posting my scripture studies. Not a day went by that I didn't devote time to Jesus, but time was often too short to post my journal. God strengthens me, helps me, and upholds me.

Cucina Fresca...I have a lemon tree that drops 2-3 lemons a day. Although I love lemon, I've never dealt with so many at a time. Then I remembered a delicious sandwich recipe that Ann Esselstyn makes with rye bread. No gluten diet makes this girl sort of innovative. I think this invention is even tastier than her sandwich with expensive imported bread. For sure it is more frugal.

Kale/Lemon Wraps for One

3 six-inch corn tortillas (OR a left-over oat waffle)
3 cups kale or other sturdy greens of choice, strip stem and chop in bite sized pieces
1 T mixed dehydrated veg powder
3 T Ann's Mayo Substitute (blend cooked chick peas, lemon, Mrs. Dash, fresh thyme or basil, cayenne, and garlic)
handful cilantro or parsley, chopped
zest and pulp of 1/2 lemon, zest first, then slice center very thinly and remove peel, leaving segments intact.
juice of the other 1/2 lemon
1/2 roma tomato, sliced then quartered

Put kale in a pot with 1/4 c water, cilantro, zest, and veg powder in the bottom. Bring to a boil, cover, and cook until kale is tender but not mushy, 3-5 minutes; stir in lemon juice. Spread wraps thickly with hummus. Layer with lemony kale, lemon slices, and tomatoes. Lemon (or vinegar) is key to making greens yummy without added fat or ham.

Sound of Music...as much as I love playing the violin, I'm going to hang it up for good. My fingers, arms, and neck are not strong or limber enough to do play any more. It's a sad day. I've thought a lot about this over the last six months. A friend of mine on Vashon Island has a master's degree in violin performance and had to face the same dilemma in her fifties. It is what it is, and I'll move forward.

Garden Gate...finally got the window farm planted with culinary herbs. It looks great. Sprout garden producing a quart of alfalfa/clover/cole sprouts a day.