"Beam-ectomy should precede all mote micro-surgery. Just saying." Ginger Conrad paraphrasing Jesus Christ.

Paradigm Shift

“The list of health problems I think it would very hard to live with is SO much longer than the list of foods I previously thought I couldn’t live without,” Merrill Alley.

Sunday, January 18, 2015

helping

Praying For...Quinn, our 6-year-old birthday boy. He makes us laugh with joy; he's absolutely darling. I got the privilege of tending his sister and him this week; what a privilege. I pray that he will learn the joy of self-sufficiency and responsibility...that he will be strong in body, spirit, and mind...that his family, friends, and foes will seek to know and follow Prince of Peace and adopt His character. That leaders of nations will cease to do evil against and will soften their hearts toward all God's children.

Jesus' Word..."And the child grew, and waxed strong in spirit, filled with wisdom: and the grace of God was upon him," Luke 2:40. There are only a couple scriptures describing the childhood of Jesus. What a responsibility raising a child, such as He, would have been for Joseph and Mary. Humble as they were, they managed to do a good job. Maybe they were chosen, because they had a greater capacity to do well. Or maybe they were simply committed to making parenting and family life a priority.

Events...got to tend Quinn and Sammy. One day during that time, we drove up to visit the other cousins. It was so nice to see my other girls, whom I don't see nearly enough.

Bibliophilia...read The Cabin Faced West by Jean Fritz, a short but very interesting middle grade historical fiction about Westward expansion just after the US Revolutionary War. I recommend it highly for 8-11 year old girls. Since I was tending, I gave it to Sammy as part of her grandchild-of-the-week gifts. I try not to buy them trendy books but those that have some literary value. We gave Quinn the book Billy And Blaze by C.W. Anderson for his birthday, which was a favorite of both my boys around age 6 or 7.

Dr. Ginger, Medicine Woman...reading Aging Backward by Miranda Esmond-White, a fascinating book on the science of exercising for health. I've done here exercises a few times now and find them energizing instead of energy sapping. Now that I'm mostly recovered from the main problems of my illness and injury, I want to build strength that my other exercises haven't helped me to do. Well...biking is helping, but I don't have a bike up here yet.

Resolutions...still loving my goals for this year. I'm not sure why people set unrealistic goals or beat themselves up for falling short. It is absolutely OK to dream big. Additionally, deciding you don't care for a certain activity or adjusting one's direction midstream is perfectly fine. What if I discovered I didn't like thus and such but stuck with it regardless? That would be silly and make me miserable. However, I would or could never know I like or don't like something if I don't ever try in the first place.