"Beam-ectomy should precede all mote micro-surgery. Just saying." Ginger Conrad paraphrasing Jesus Christ.

Paradigm Shift

“The list of health problems I think it would very hard to live with is SO much longer than the list of foods I previously thought I couldn’t live without,” Merrill Alley.

Sunday, March 29, 2015

Three Whole Weeks!!!

I love keeping this journal but have totally forgotten about it for three weeks.

Praying For...Tyson this week... that he will have a beautiful childhood filled with people, places, and events that inspire him to stay on the straight and narrow path, love God, cherish his family, and treat his fellow man with dignity and kindness...that rulers of nations soften their hearts toward peace and liberty...that all my family, friends, neighbors, and even enemies will come to know the peace only found by embracing the way of Jesus Christ.

Bibliophilia...I'm having so much fun reading the books I send my grands. Among others, I recently read Little Bo: The story of Bonnie Boadicea, Mrs. Frisby and the Rats of Nihm also reading Out of Africa with my final seniors. I have loved mentoring for the last 17 years, but it seems my calling has shifted elsewhere.

Gorilla Homemaking...we don't stay put long, so I've learned how to live quite comfortably with the minimum of personal items. Using a hotplate to prepare food in a very sparse kitchen has made me re-examine what I used to consider essential. I've discovered I like the simple life very, very much. After reading The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up: The Japanese Art of Decluttering and Organizing, I can see a few ways to make this suitcase lifestyle a little more calming. I especially like the way she tells one to fold clothes. It's been quite a refreshing departure from my old ways. Still, I miss a feeling of permanence and of home.

Movement...loving the benefits of Essentrics, walking, and standing for work more often than sitting. Looking forward to riding my bike again, when I get back home. I feel healthier now than I have in twenty years. My plant diet combined with this movement has drastically changed my life for the better. I'm still over the half century mark, but I no longer feel OLD. I may just yet have a couple decades of fun left in me. Some of the grands are into karate, gymnastics, and cheerleading. I send them jump ropes, hacky sacks, and balls to encourage fun exercise, too.

Cucina Fresca...nothing revolutionary is occurring in my kitchen at this time, although I did make Kreamy Cauliflower Alfredo over quinoa pasta (much prefer brown rice pasta), some amazingly delicious asparagus, peppers, and , and a delightful fruit salad featuring raspberries for Jason tonight. We eat mostly greens and fruit with plenty of other veg, lots of mushrooms, some beans, and a bit of whole grains. Whenever I eat at a restaurant, I get sick. I'll have to find another way to visit with my parents, when I get home.

Sound of Music...some of my grands have begun piano lessons, which couldn't make me happier. I've been sending them symphony music now and again. Recently I sent to some of them Prokofiev: Peter and the Wolf and Camille Saint-Saens: Carnival of The Animals featuring the humorous poetry of Ogden Nash. Both are easy on the ears and geared toward children. Plus, they were my first favorites in the genre. I hope they grow to love beautiful music as I do.

Grand Central...I guess you might say I want to be as great a distant grandma as my children had. They were so lucky to have my mother and stepmother pulling for them. My stepmom did the most wonderful parties in a box, which made my children feel so loved. No, they didn't see my parents often, but they knew and loved them as well as they could separated by 1400 miles. More often now I get letters and cards from the older ones. It's so fun to see emerging personalities in their newsy writing.

Yorkies...being without the granddog since September hasn't been awesome for me. I didn't think I had grown as attached as I did. I'm quite lonesome for walking with a companion, training time, and grooming sessions. I never thought I wanted another dog, but I guess I was fooling myself. So, I'm looking for an adult Yorkie to adopt. I've also let it be known that I would like to have Gucci back if it's ever a possibility. Love that Puny Princess Pitbull.