"Beam-ectomy should precede all mote micro-surgery. Just saying." Ginger Conrad paraphrasing Jesus Christ.

Paradigm Shift

“The list of health problems I think it would very hard to live with is SO much longer than the list of foods I previously thought I couldn’t live without,” Merrill Alley.

Sunday, March 8, 2015

teaching this old gal new tricks

Praying For...Claire...since she's the birthday girl this week, she gets a week of GCOTW out of turn...praying that she will continue smiling her million dollar smile and being a sweet little lady...she is quite possibly the sweetest little six-year-old that I know...that she will have an abundant, happy, scholarly, friendly, safe, obedient, free seventh year...that she will be inspired to emulate the character of Jesus...that her neighbors and enemies will learn of and be inspired to follow the Prince of Peace and never usurp the rights of other...that the leaders of nation will lay down power-mongering and pursue good will toward all.

Jesus Word..."Thou believest that there is one God; thou doest well: the devils also believe, and tremble. But wilt thou know, O vain man, that faith without works is dead," James 2:19-20. I understand that nothing I do brings salvation or redemption. Those are gifts of grace from the Savior. I also know God commanded us to live lives of Christian charity, which is interpreted as the true love of Jesus Christ. Jesus' live was a picture of sacrifice for those He loves, everyone ever born on earth. He expects me to try to be like Him even though I will fail again and again. I can say I believe and be as the adversary. But to prove my love to Him, I must say I believe and show I believe with my treatment of others, my hours of devotion, my service to my fellow man, and my willingness to repent my sins. It's a tall but joyful order.

Bibliofilia...As a little child, my dad made me watch holocaust documentaries, which both horrified and fascinated. Nobody will ever hoodwink me, saying it was a big lie. I saw the walking skeletons and bodies shoveled into ovens. This week I read a beautiful but sad story of a girl, evacuated to England without her family: The Children of Willesden Lane: Beyond the Kindertransport: A Memoir of Music, Love, and Survival by M. Golabek. Because I love beautiful music, the story touched my heart. When my granddaughters are 14 or so, I'll send them this book. For her birthday, we sent Claire 50 Princesses A Coloring Book by Anita Valle, No Flying in the House Betty Brock, Faber-Castel colored pencils, and a ten inch pink playground ball. I try to lay low with gift giving on birthdays and such. Instead I prefer to send less flashy but gifts that might spark lifelong interests, scholarship, and good health.

Cucina Fresca...I absolutely detest ground flax seeds. I've struggled to incorporate flax into my diet because of my bad attitude. Yes, I need to eat them, because they are good for heart, skin, and hair. This week I tried eating them on top of applesauce and found a winner. They make a good stack in the afternoon.

Movement...Until January, I've not enjoyed movement very much. Even as a child, I mostly sat at recess. I was never good at ball or jumping rope even though I enjoyed it. Still, the draw to rest has ever been more strong to me than running and rough housing. Sure, it's been a big part of my life, but to say I love it would have been a big stretch. Now, I more then love exercising; I look forward to it and spend way more time involved in it than I ever believed possible. Some days I'm up to 90 minutes and want even more. If I feel stiff or sore during the day, I do some more. You CAN teach an old gal new tricks.

Nature News...this week I saw my first Stellar's Jay of spring, which I've aptly named the bluebird of happiness...I also saw the first dianthus or perennial pink of the year. The garden here is unfolding before my eyes.