"Beam-ectomy should precede all mote micro-surgery. Just saying." Ginger Conrad paraphrasing Jesus Christ.

Paradigm Shift

“The list of health problems I think it would very hard to live with is SO much longer than the list of foods I previously thought I couldn’t live without,” Merrill Alley.

Sunday, June 21, 2015

blessings of a happy life

Praying For...Cole, who is growing into a fine young man...he resembles Spencer very much. Their baby pics were almost identical. Anyway, I pray that he stays on the straight and narrow way....that he will be blessed with peace, safety, security, plenty, and other such blessings of a happy life.

Bibliophilia...sending Mozart's Magnificent Voyage by Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart, Carry On, Mr. Bowditch by Jean Lee Latham, and Duncan Yo Yo Trick Book by Steve Brown to Cole. The Classical Kids CDs are a favorite of the grands. Carry On, Mr. Bowditch is a wonderful read. AND to show Cole that he can learn anything he wants to know about anything he's interested in, I'm sending him the Yo Yo Trick Book. I'm so happy I can contribute the education of my grands, while showing them how much I love them.

Cucina Fresca...In March I sprinkled herb seeds under all my newly planted trees and bushes. Around one gogi bush, the basil is growing like gang-busters. While searching for fat-free pesto recipes, I found plenty oil-free one's with a boat load of nuts but none without added fat. So, I made this one to begin utilizing my basil crop. Yummy!

Summer Fresh Pasta with Pesto

1 to 1 1/2 c tightly packed fresh basil leaves (can use part curry leaves, spinach, morninga, and/or parsley)
1 1/2 c frozen peas, thawed
1 garlic clove, pressed
1 T chickpea miso
1 T nutritional yeast
2-4 T veggie broth or water
3 T fresh lemon juice (Wah! I used my last homegrown lemon of the year.)
1 t lemon zest
celtic sea salt or not
dash cayenne

Add all ingredients to taste and process until smooth, scraping down the sides as necessary. Stir into a pound of hot, cooked brown rice linguini. Garnish with additional basil leaves, black pepper, and red pepper flakes. This doesn't taste traditional, but I think it's better without the heavy, oily aftertaste. Plus, peas are a good source of protein.

Roasted Tomato Basil Pasta with Moringa

Tomatoes and basil are classic cousins for a reason. Morninga is an easy, mild addition. Morninga is a delicious spinach substitute with amazing amounts of many nutrients. It's peasant superfood that nearly anyone can grow in their yard or living room. It is widely used in Asia and Africa lately to combat several forms of malnutrition with huge success.

2 lbs. tomatoes quartered
3 cloves garlic, peeled
1 red bell pepper, chopped
1/2 t Mrs. Dash
1/2 t dried Italian herbs
pinch red pepper flakes
dash salt

Roast in oven or sun oven for an hour or more. Everything should look roasted with a bit of browning. Puree, adding a tablespoon or two of tomato paste if it is too thin. Stir into brown rice rotini pasta with a handful each of torn basil and moringa leaves. Garnish with more basil and cracked black pepper.

For Your Viewing Pleasure...watched If I Had Wings and thoroughly enjoyed it. Yes, it was a bit predictable and all that, but I loved the message. I loved that the handicapped kid refused to accept the label, refused to be pampered, and refused to let anyone get the best of him. He stood up for himself by being the best person he could be.

Dr. Ginger, Medicine Woman...so...I spoke too soon...I am still sensitive to wheat...wah...my belly swelled to pregnancy size for a few days. It's on its way back to normal, but I am bummed. Oh, well...I continue to ingest vitamin C rich foods and several forms of iron including: molasses, moringa, kale, spinach, black beans, floridex, furmarate, and citrate. Slowly, things are getting back to normal again.