"Beam-ectomy should precede all mote micro-surgery. Just saying." Ginger Conrad paraphrasing Jesus Christ.

Paradigm Shift

“The list of health problems I think it would very hard to live with is SO much longer than the list of foods I previously thought I couldn’t live without,” Merrill Alley.

Friday, May 31, 2013

patience on rough roads

I got a letter from a student, who recently graduated and joined the armed forces. In the thick of basic training, which he will complete before deferring active duty for a two-year mission, he is questioning his decision. A quiet, cheerful young man, he is used to country living and study, not screaming, swearing, and constant demands/criticism. Consequently, he can't seem to remember that this course of action was a personal revelation from God.

When read his words, this scripture came to mind. " ...cast your mind upon the night that you cried unto me in your heart, that you might know the truth of these things. Did I not speak peace to your mind concerning this matter? What greater witness can you have than from God?"  Doctrine and Covenants 6:22-23

Over the course of my life, I've attended my own personal boot camps. Although they didn't include the spirit-killing demands of this young man's experience, like him, I questioned my previous witnesses. Gaining an eternal perspective, I now understand that the truthfulness of my path and decisions is sometimes long in coming. If I hold onto my witness and His peace, it is easier to have patience and joy on rough roads.