"Beam-ectomy should precede all mote micro-surgery. Just saying." Ginger Conrad paraphrasing Jesus Christ.

Paradigm Shift

“The list of health problems I think it would very hard to live with is SO much longer than the list of foods I previously thought I couldn’t live without,” Merrill Alley.

Saturday, May 4, 2013

vision and power of doctrine

One of the prime reasons for earth life is to adopt the character of Jesus Christ, who spent His time serving and helping others. "By this shall all men know that ye are my disciples, if ye have love one to another" (John 13:35). I don't want to get to that judgement day and have Him say "I never knew you: depart from me." (Matthew 7:23)

This is the lesson we hope to teach those that come to the farm. The young people seem to get it immediately. We hear comments. I love this. I didn't know getting my hands dirty would be so fun. This feels like the temple grounds.

Inevitably, a thirty something leader will indicate we need more tools and more direction. It is then time to teach the adult. Our service projects aren't about efficiency. When we pay someone to do a job, we want them to do as much work in as short a time as possible. Here we want the young person standing around with a shovel or rake to see a need and get themselves anxiously engaged in fulfilling it, (Doctrine and Covenants 58:27). If we always direct, command in all things, and micro manage young people they never learn to see; they will never grow into adults who see  and do and lead, (1 Nephi 3:7). Additionally, we are attempting to provide opportunities for them to learn to love work, care for God's camp, and find joy in doing something productive with other young people. Efficient, driving work isn't the goal.

By the end of the project our volunteers, both youth and leader, often don't want to quit. They catch the vision and feel the power of the doctrine.