"Beam-ectomy should precede all mote micro-surgery. Just saying." Ginger Conrad paraphrasing Jesus Christ.

Paradigm Shift

“The list of health problems I think it would very hard to live with is SO much longer than the list of foods I previously thought I couldn’t live without,” Merrill Alley.

Saturday, June 8, 2013

Hi Mom

Praying For...Gayle, our 8-year-old delight, and Zoe, the sweetest, gentlest 6-year-old I've met (besides my own Sammy Girl)...peace, joy, Jesus' love, and the chance to retain innocence throughout childhood. If more children around the world experienced these, I believe war would cease. Touch the minds and hearts of world leaders to allow religious freedom and to turn their backs on corruption.

Meditations on Jesus' Word..."And he took them up in his arms, put his hands upon them, and blessed them." Mark 10:16 As I grow to love the children here, I contemplate how I may bless them. And then too there are my grandchildren. I had a spiritual epiphany this week. Wondering why my children didn't remember the positive things about our family life as much as the negative, I thought of charity. Our sacrifices get us nowhere, learning is noise, spiritual wisdom is vain unless we treat people with charity. Some translations call charity love, but it is sooo much more than mere love. It is true, pure love, patient, kind, longsuffering, unselfish, meek, encouraging, and without any hypocrisy or negativity. If we want great relationships, this is the sacrifice we should make. None of the other things will matter a whit without it.

Bibliophilia...sent Gayle a copy of Nim's Island and Logic Countdown

Cucina Fresca...We've been eating a variation on this theme for a couple years. Our favorites are quinoa and pintos, but varying beans, grains, veggies, and salsa adds interest. Like Mary McDougall, I serve this in large “pasta” bowls to allow plenty of room for yumminess. Especially with quinoa, this works great for a picnic.

Burrito Bowls for 2

4 corn tortillas; 2 c cooked whole intact grains, quinoa, kasha, rice, or your preference; 2 c cooked beans sprouts, chopped romaine lettuce, baby greens, or steamed greens; chopped tomatoes or cherry tomatoes; chopped green onions; chopped cilantro, basil, or parsley; 2 c frozen corn kernels, thawed under cold running water; fresh salsa (any combination of fruits, tomatoes, chilis, herbs, spices, onions, and garlic that appeals to the pallet) With a pizza cutter, cut 4 stacked tortillas into 8 wedges. Bake at 450F for 5-12 minutes and crispy, golden brown. Keep a close eye on these. Prepare salsa and vegetables, while heating beans and grains. They are also good cold but then make a salad instead of a bowl. Put 1/4 of the chips in the bottom of each bowl. Layer beans, grains, veg, and corn, topping with the remaining chips, salsa, and herbs. This is a semi-frugal meal if you slow cook your own grains and beans. It can be very frugal if you grown a garden (indoor or out).

Dr. Ginger, Medicine Woman...I just couldn't understand what was going on. After all, I did the incurables and everything was working like gentle clockwork. My blood was building. Then it crumbled and my problems began again. Arggh. Dr. Greger made this video that began my epiphany. Upon further investigation, I learned that cassia cinnamon also thins the blood intensifying bleeding issues. On incurables, I began to eat lots of apples and bananas. Later, to prevent boredom, I added lots of cinnamon to improve the taste without realize I might be reversing my cure. Sooo...sniff...boring, bland cinnamon now 'flavors' my oats, and I don't dip fruit in cinnamon anymore.

Movement...When we started working here, I strained my back. With increasing intestinal permeability, all painkillers are out. Why? They increase IIP, exacerbating inflammation. All I wanted to do was lay down and sleep. But I knew from previous experience that too much rest would weaken the injury and ultimately intensify the problem. Since I already know and enjoy this woman's youtube yoga channel, I searched it and found these easy, short exercises. http://youtu.be/7c3U44NUI-A http://youtu.be/L69u7csJ_oU
Enjoy!

On Serendipity or Counting My Blessings...it's been pretty difficult to be in the height of grass growing season with our best tractor down. The grass is getting longer. My allergies are going crazy with the tall, seedy grass. But...there are forget-me-nots everywhere I look. It's as if my Katie is shouting, 'Hi Mom,' every time I go outside.

Garden Gate...well...not my garden...31 years ago, I sold strawberries at Pike's Place Market and on Bothell Way. It was my first time away from Phoenix and quite a culture shock. But the strawberries were amazing. It's been years since I tasted real, fresh, NW strawberries until I stopped at a stand nearby. I had forgotten. 

I live a blessed life.