"Beam-ectomy should precede all mote micro-surgery. Just saying." Ginger Conrad paraphrasing Jesus Christ.

Paradigm Shift

“The list of health problems I think it would very hard to live with is SO much longer than the list of foods I previously thought I couldn’t live without,” Merrill Alley.

Monday, June 10, 2013

reverse

It was too good to last. For various reasons, my Primary class is now made up of 4-5s instead of 6-7s. Even with my experience and education, I didn't change gears in my mind. Really, I thought the new class was 5-6s and used the lesson I already prepared. It bombed big time. The children with shorter attention spans went ballistic. One cried and one started throwing things...wow...

These children are dear and sweet but demand lessons with some movement. Because I don't think it age appropriate to expect a 4-5 to sit still for three hours, I'm with them. After my brief desire to get out of this calling, I thought of a couple of my own children with trouble sitting still. If they had been shown a little charity instead of adult condemnation, maybe things would have been different. As I thought, the idea of games and activities came to my mind: stacking nesting blocks, fishing, memory, coloring, tossing bean bags, dress-up, etc. I can still teach scripture stories, but not sitting at a table. With a little faith and lots of prayer to give me inspiration, maybe I can reverse the direction of our terrible class from yesterday.

"And all thy children shall be taught of the Lord; and great shall be the peace of thy children." Isaiah 54:13

"...children are an heritage of the Lord..." Psalm 127:3

"And ye will not suffer your children that they go hungry, or naked; neither will ye suffer that they transgress the laws of God, and fight and quarrel one with another, and serve the devil, who is the master of sin, or who is the devil spirit which hath been spoken of by our fathers, he being an enemy to all righteousness. But ye will teach them to walk in the ways of truth and soberness; ye will teach them to love one another, and to serve one another." Mosiah 4:14-15