"Beam-ectomy should precede all mote micro-surgery. Just saying." Ginger Conrad paraphrasing Jesus Christ.

Paradigm Shift

“The list of health problems I think it would very hard to live with is SO much longer than the list of foods I previously thought I couldn’t live without,” Merrill Alley.

Wednesday, July 17, 2013

a richer life

Not too long ago, a member of my extended family told me I was too old to still be learning new languages. Too Old! What am I supposed to do, sit in my rocking chair and watch TV? Possibly, this person doesn't understand what I believe about education.

God commanded, “Seek learning, even by study and also by faith” (Doctrine and Covenants 88:118). Not only are His followers supposed to learn scripture but also “...things both in heaven and in the earth, and under the earth; things which have been, things which are, things which must shortly come to pass; things which are at home, things which are abroad; the wars and the perplexities of the nations, and the judgments which are on the land; and a knowledge also of countries and of kingdoms—that [we] may be prepared in all things” (Doctrine and Covenants 88:78– 80).

"A wise man will hear, and will increase learning; and a man of understanding shall attain unto wise counsels." Proverbs 1:5

Generally, my free time includes reading, writing, playing music, exploring nature, and painting. While I can't say I'm the most educated person around, I feel my life is richer because I choose learning. Apparently, it will be likewise in the hereafter as well.

"Whatever principle of intelligence we attain unto in this life, it will rise with us in the resurrection. And if a person gains more knowledge and intelligence in this life through his diligence and obedience than another, he will have so much the advantage in the world to come." (Doctrine and Covenants 130:18-19)