"Beam-ectomy should precede all mote micro-surgery. Just saying." Ginger Conrad paraphrasing Jesus Christ.

Paradigm Shift

“The list of health problems I think it would very hard to live with is SO much longer than the list of foods I previously thought I couldn’t live without,” Merrill Alley.

Sunday, September 8, 2013

adore it

Praying For...Quinn, the funniest, strawberry-top, 4-year-old boy ever. He's all boy, which leads me to pray that people won't expect him and other little boys to act like prim little girls. They just aren't designed to sit still for long periods. Sure they can concentrate like crazy, when the task at hand is interesting to them but not otherwise. The trick is to discover what is interesting to a boy's boy. Maria Montessori learned all about this idea over 100 years ago, when she was asked to run a school for ghetto children of working mothers. Without guidance, the little children vandalized their buildings. After the school was instituted, they learned to read, write, draw, listen, compute, and care for their environment. One of my fondest desires is that all children will be nurtured into learning that learning is worthwhile and pleasant.

Pondering Jesus' Word..."Whoso keepeth his mouth and his tongue keepeth his soul from troubles." Proverbs 21:23 Not following this advice has been the bain of my existence.

Bibliophilia...read Lumber Camp Library by Natalie Kinsey-Warnock and thoroughly enjoyed it. I'll be sending it to Gayle in a couple weeks. Also, am reading Think Big by Ben Carson. This man's story inspires me. Sending Quinn the Boxcar Children, Alpha Phonics, and a couple drawing books.

Cucina Fresca...I don't usually say poor things about others. When it comes to vegetables, I'm justifed. Perhaps their problem was the way their mothers cooked vegetables until a uniform army green mush. Anyway, winter squash is another vegetable (actually fruit) that my mother brainwashed me into hating. Strange? Yes, she hated almost all vegetables and trained her children likewise. Although my father's palate was a bit more adventurous, he was nearly as picky. While raising my own children, I learned to like and even enjoy most other vegetables. Now, I'm working on winter squash. Each time I eat it, the flavor and texture become less offensive.

Quinoa Stuffed Kabocha (acorn, carnival, dumpling, or other smallish winter squash would work equally as well)

1/2 c quinoa
1 kabocha squash, halved and seeded
3 sliced green onions
1 red bell pepper, chopped
1 t grated ginger root
1-2 cloves garlic, pressed
1/4 t. red pepper flakes
1 T veg powder
2 T each dehydrated spinach and cabbage
1/4 c. minced parsley or 1 T dried
1 c water
3 prunes, finely chopped or 1/4 c raisins or 4 chopped dried apricots
3-5 fresh basil leaves, chopped or 1 t. dried

In a 375F oven place halved, seeded kabocha face down on a parchment lined baking sheet. Roast for 25-30 minutes until tender but not mushy. Meanwhile, place all other ingredients except bell pepper, green onions, parsley, basil, and prunes in a sauce pan. Bring to a boil. Turn down heat. Cover and simmer for 15-20 min. Keep lid on and allow to rest until kabocha is ready. Fluff quinoa and mix in prunes, bell pepper, green onions, parsley and basil. Remove kabocha from oven and turn on broiler. Scoop quinoa evenly into the each half of the kabocha. Broil for 3-4 min. Enjoy with steamed, seasoned greens or salad.

Nature News...even for here the amount of rain this week was substantial. One day thunder rumbled the entire day. One of my favorite sounds is thunder. Growing up in PHX, storms were rare. When they occurred, they were wild with thunder, lightening, wind, and pelting rain. So I adore a good storm.

Mission News...the grass is starting to grow again with all the rain. Lots of wood was cut and split. Branches were chipped. Some nice people came to help. Gotta love this quiet, spirit-filled place God has blessed us to watch.

Pen and Brush...drawing almost every day again. With the pain and swelling gone from my hands, I feel ready to tackle watercolor again. I'm glad my intended audience is under 9, since my skill is entirely lacking.