"Beam-ectomy should precede all mote micro-surgery. Just saying." Ginger Conrad paraphrasing Jesus Christ.

Paradigm Shift

“The list of health problems I think it would very hard to live with is SO much longer than the list of foods I previously thought I couldn’t live without,” Merrill Alley.

Monday, May 5, 2014

as I went along

So I sort of got side tracked with my Articles of Faith study. So...I'm going to attempt to get back to it. Likely, I'll go off on some rabbit trail again. But that's just the way my mind works.

"We believe that men will be punished for their own sins, and not for Adam’s transgression," AOF 2.

Deuteronomy 24:16...Each of us is accountable for our own choices and their consequences.

2 Corinthians 5:10...Each of us will be judged by Jesus for the good and bad things we did on Earth.

Doctrine and Covenants 93:38...Repentance through the Atonement returns us to innocence.

Doctrine and Covenants 101:78...Our agency or freedom to choose makes us accountable. God won't force us to be good.

As a young person searching for truth and the church I wanted to join, I never believed the doctrine of original sin. People on Earth don't go to jail for the misdeeds of others in a just society (except by evil design or terrible mistake.) When I consider conscience or the light of Christ always telling people right from wrong, I can't believe my Father in Heaven would condemn me for the deeds of someone four thousand years ago. That is why I believe I am only liable for my own sins. I have to say it's a good thing, because my mistakes are many on their own. Each decision has a consequence, good or bad.

I once had a conversation with a couple of my grandchildren. As is traditional in many LDS-Christian homes, we read scripture together at family scripture/prayer time. Their questions were many and deep. We discussed sin and repentance. One granddaughter confusedly asked how to repent. That's when I gave her my formula. Each night before I say my prayers, I think back through my day. Did I make any mistakes? Of course each day I have done things I'm not pleased about. During my private, personal prayer, I tell God about it and ask for forgiveness. I also make plans to ask forgiveness of any injured party. I'm taking the advice of a great scientist and man of God, Henry Eyring.

"My father...talked to me during the nights as he approached death. He spoke of joyous reunions that were coming soon in the spirit world. I could almost see the bright sunlight and the smiles in that place of paradise as he talked about it with such assurance. At one point, I asked him if he had some repenting to do. He smiled. He chuckled softly as he said, “No, Hal, I’ve been repenting as I went along.” Henry B. Eyring, The Power of Teaching Doctrine, April 1999

This explanation was good enough for a young child. Someday, those little ones will be old enough to learn more about the consequences and repentance process for more severe sins like adultery, murder, and other horrible acts. Since I believe childhood should be full of innocence, there is plenty of time to learn those things as they mature. Since I'm not the parent, I probably won't be the one teaching those things.