"Beam-ectomy should precede all mote micro-surgery. Just saying." Ginger Conrad paraphrasing Jesus Christ.

Paradigm Shift

“The list of health problems I think it would very hard to live with is SO much longer than the list of foods I previously thought I couldn’t live without,” Merrill Alley.

Wednesday, August 20, 2014

choosing

In my primary class on Sunday, I had a choice experience. My students love to talk, so I've set up my class to allow for times of free speaking. At the beginning of class, we pass around our talking bag so each child can tell of their week and one way they were a peacemaker in their family. After the lesson, they draw something pertaining to the lesson and tell us about their creation. Also during this time, they are free to visit quietly. Last Sunday one little boy asked, Do you every get mad, Sister C? Because I want to be a good example and always truthful, I answered this way.

From time to time, most people have feelings of anger, sadness, rejection, or fear. However, it's what you do with those feelings that counts. If you allow yourself to hit or or kick or yell or fight or throw a tantrum because of your feelings, it is called contention. Jesus told us, contention is from Satan. Choosing to act out with contention, you choose to follow Satan. I know I don't want to follow Satan. It is better to talk things out if you can or walk away if it's not possible to talk it out. You always have a choice whether you are going to choose contention or choose to forgive and forget.

Our lesson had been about talents. Another little boy in the class said his only talent was making everyone at his house mad. I nearly burst out crying but instead told him contention isn't a talent. Contention is from Satan. Surely, he must have something positive or happy that he was good at. After thinking for a minute, he said he was good at wresting. I pointed out that he was also a good reader, great singer, and had a beautiful smile. I think this is what started the other boy thinking about anger.

I don't know why I cooled off on my study of Jesus The Christ. I love that book and the way it leads one through the life of Jesus with the scriptures. I'll give it another try and see if I can't rekindle my fire. Even so, I love my Savior. I've experienced lulls like this before and know that they pass. I think getting out of the habit is so much easier than getting into the habit.