"Beam-ectomy should precede all mote micro-surgery. Just saying." Ginger Conrad paraphrasing Jesus Christ.

Paradigm Shift

“The list of health problems I think it would very hard to live with is SO much longer than the list of foods I previously thought I couldn’t live without,” Merrill Alley.

Sunday, November 23, 2014

for fun

Praying For...Gracie that she will be happy, healthy, safe, secure, love learning, and love Jesus...that the innocence of her childhood will be preserved...that her parents and teachers will discover the perfect way to help her be all she was meant to be...that her Biblical neighbors will treat each other with charity...that leaders of nations will protect the sanctity of childhood and family and liberty as well as stop all the bloodshed...yes, I know the revelations and that some of these hopes are futile...however, when God knows the desires of my heart, He will grant all those that are right...

Jesus' Word..."And to every beast of the earth, and to every fowl of the air, and to every thing that creepeth upon the earth, wherein there is life, I have given every green herb for meat: and it was so," Genesis 1:30. Feeling grateful today for the wisdom of my creator, who inspires me how to feel the best I can in this mortal body.

Cucina Fresca...Yesterday, Spencer told me he had turned into his mother and watches cooking shows for fun. Like me, he likes to explore the world of taste and presentation. This week on Youtube I discovered vegan mince, which looks very much like cooked hamburger or sausage, tastes rich, smooth, and ever so much better than the former. As usual, I tweaked it a bit by removing oil and adding more veg. With infinite possibilities for usage, I made:

Pasta Anti-Bolognese for 2

5-6 med sized mushrooms
4-5 cauliflower florets
1 small yellow onion, diced (or 1 t onion powder)
1 clove garlic, pressed (or 1 t garlic powder)
1/8 t smoked paprika
1 stalk celery, 1/4 green pepper, and 1 carrot pureed (or 2 T dehydrated veg powder)
1 T tomato paste
1 T nutritional yeast (optional)
1 clove garlic, pressed
1 1/2 c tomato sauce
1 bay leaf
1/4 t dried oregano
1/4 t dried basil
pinch red pepper flakes
Salt
a few twists of fresh black pepper
4 oz. brown rice rotini or linguini

Prepare all veg including sides of greens and fruit. Put a pot of water on to boil. Pulse your mushrooms and cauliflower in a blender or food processor until you get small ground meat sized bits. Over low heat cook mushroom mince, onion, salt, garlic, celery, carrot, pepper, and paprika in a stain-less steel skillet until it releases its water. Turn up heat to medium and cook mince stirring occasionally and scrapping bottom of pan until dried and browned, about 15 minutes. Remove mince from pan. Turn up heat to medium high and shmear tomato paste in bottom of pan and toss in garlic. Stir and scrape pan bottom until it begins to brown. Add sauce, yeast, and herbs plus half a cup of pasta water. Boil pasta and steam greens. Simmer until sauce comes together, adding more pasta water if necessary. Stir in mince and correct seasonings. Plate pasta and top with sauce. Serve with Lemony Kale or steamed asparagus. As always end the meal on a sweet note with seasonal fruit.

J couldn't get enough of this rich dish and asked for it again the next night. I didn't capitulate but know it's on the win list. Compared to its animal counter part, the differences are astounding. A cup of meat sauce contains about 260 calories with 13 grams of fat--that's nearly 50% fat. My anti-bolognese has about 70 calories with no fat of any type. Adding in 2 oz pasta, a pile of greens, and a cup of fruit each the whole meal is less than 400 calories with no measurable fat but oodles more nutrition with no lack of the all important protein and calcium. Why is it nobody asks meat eaters where they get their phyto-chemicals, minerals, and vitamins so lacking in animal based cuisine? Why? Dairy and Meat conglomerates write the nutritional policies of the US which are taught in public schools, universities, and medical schools. Protein isn't the most important concern in nutrition. In fact too much protein leaches calcium from the bones and leads to many cancers.

Movement...after a couple weeks' reprieve, I'm getting back into ginjoga, walking, and hooping. My last adrenal crash was painful and debilitating. Unpacking a house is stressful for mind and body. I have to remember to not over-do, which always leads to a crash. Still, I'm so much better than I was 4 years ago, when God whispered the way for me to regain a bit of health. Anyway, I love my gentle exercises.

Family Time...Aunt Yvonne's memorial was Monday. These events are always bitter-sweet. We love celebrating the life of loved ones, but we know we will miss their presence at gatherings. Also, these events bring together family from near and far--some we've never met before. Enjoyed seeing Mom and Grandma yesterday afternoon. Enjoyed attending the temple with J yesterday morning.

Bibliophilia...Got Book of a Thousand Days by Shannon Hale. I've read many of her other books and enjoyed most of them. Hopefully, this one will be interesting. Also, I got another Life of Fred book. So far the math is still pretty easy, but the books are hilarious. Taking a couple on-line classes in literature and history.

Viewing Pleasure...Don't know why we went to see the newest Hunger Games movie. It was worse than the other one I saw. They are so dark, violent, and depressing. Hope I remember how much I dislike them next time one comes out.

Garden Gate...rabbits ate my gogi plants nearly to the ground. The Window Farm is a bust, since it spews water all over the window and is noisy. Too bad; it is a great idea. Putting out some hummingbird feeders, since we have a few that hang around here all the time. They are here so much that they often perch on the trees, a sight I've not often seen before.

Pen and Brush...spending more time drawing and working on a book I put to bed last fall. Love being occupied with pleasurable things and anxiously engaged in a good cause. My good cause is working on family history for an hour or two each day. It's so easy now with everything computerized.