"Beam-ectomy should precede all mote micro-surgery. Just saying." Ginger Conrad paraphrasing Jesus Christ.

Paradigm Shift

“The list of health problems I think it would very hard to live with is SO much longer than the list of foods I previously thought I couldn’t live without,” Merrill Alley.

Sunday, February 22, 2015

light and love

Praying for...Gracie, who's getting to be a very sweet young lady at nearly six-years-old...that she will an innocent, healthy, happy, safe, secure, scholarly, loyal, obedient, and gentle childhood...that she will continue to grow and develop into the fine girl she's becoming...that her neighbors all over the world will choose to protect the sanctity of the family and the innocence of childhood...that they will choose to stay home with their families, plant gardens, and improve their own corner and conduct...that they will return to civility and find the Prince of Peace.



Jesus Word...“That which is of God is light; and he that receiveth light, and continueth in God, receiveth more light," Doctrine and Covenants  50:24. Let us go to the source of light found in the scriptures, the Lord Jesus Christ. Every Sunday at church, I feel so HAPPY. I want to be better and do better; I feel light. I feel the love of God. Certainly, I feel this when I study scripture and pray, but somehow joy is intensified during worship times. I wish everyone knew the joy I feel worshipping Jesus Christ, the author of true peace.

Bibliophilia...I read a cute children's book, No Flying In The House. It was so cute, I sent it to Gracie for her mother to read to her this week along with a couple dot-to-dot books. When their weeks roll around, I'll send it to Oakley and Sammy. Another fun children's book I read this week is Eleven Birthdays, which I'll send to Gayle during her week. This pre-reading children's books is quite fun.

Genealogy...This week's most interesting discovery about my ancestry makes my heart sing. I found more native Americans. Virginians Chief Great Running Stream and Chief Morning Ripple of the Powhatan are my direct grandfathers many generations back. Probably, this will cause some unease to a close, older relative. It just goes to show that people ought not have prejudices or superior attitudes concerning people of diverse blood, because they usually find those very peoples in their ancestry.

Chief Morning Ripple of the Powhatan


Cucina Fresca...I love minestrone and potato soups. This week I tweaked a passed posted recipe and came up with this much better version.

White Minestrone

4 small potatoes
1 clove garlic, pressed
6-8 mushrooms, sliced
1/4 head of cauliflower, left in large pieces
1/2 onion
2 celery stalks with leaves attached
pinch dried Italian herbs
dash red pepper flakes
4-8 cups water
1 1/2 c cooked cannellini beans
2 T non-soy, non-gluten light miso
1 bunch lacinato kale, stripped
fresh minced parsley and basil (optional)
salt (optional)
Fresh pepper

Boil potatoes, garlic, mushrooms, onion, celery, dried herbs, and red pepper in water to cover until potatoes are soft, about 15 minutes. Remove onion, cauliflower, and celery to a blender and process until smooth. Add puree back to pot with beans, miso, and kale, continue to cook over low heat for 5-10 minutes. Adjust seasonings. Garnish with pepper, parsley, and basil.

Dr. Ginger, Medicine Woman...I'm not a medical professional of any kind. I simply enjoy studying about and trying folk medicines. Lately, one of my favorite medical doctors has been exploring turmeric's ability to combat inflammation and certain cancers. The latest news is that black pepper boosts the effects. This is great for me, because I love both spices that is when the turmeric is fresh or encapsulated. I've noticed lots of benefit from this combo. Many who read this little web journal know I have some pretty interesting auto-immune, inflammatory problems. Whenever I inadvertently ingest an allergen, my body goes crazy with these auto-immune responses. Turmeric/black pepper have helped quite a bit in calming my reactions and eliminating pain. It's fabulous that God created all sorts of plants to combat bodily issues. "...excellent qualities of the many plants and roots which God had prepared to remove the cause of diseases...," Alma 46:40.

Movement...Life is good. Since our fridge is so tiny and won't keep veggies fresh for very long, I have been shopping for produce daily. Walking a couple miles most days in the fresh air and sunshine, I am energized. So that I can also buy bottled water, too, I got a little cart. Yes, I look like a silly old bag lady, but it is delightfully fun regardless. AND I absolutely LOVE essentrics. Neither of us can believe that such simple movements are responsible for better mobility, more energy, deeper sleep, and less pain in only 25 minutes per day. Another thing is most exercise programs are so boring, I can hardly wait to finish the sessions. Essentrics finds me surprised most days, when the session seems to be done almost before it begins. Plus, I feel like running a couple miles, when I'm done. I probably will wait on the running until I'm stronger, but I have never felt like running for no other reason than running in my whole life. Finally, the gentle, flowing movements don't make me hurt or feel tight like other exercise programs I have done in the past.