"Beam-ectomy should precede all mote micro-surgery. Just saying." Ginger Conrad paraphrasing Jesus Christ.

Paradigm Shift

“The list of health problems I think it would very hard to live with is SO much longer than the list of foods I previously thought I couldn’t live without,” Merrill Alley.

Sunday, May 17, 2015

not the end

Praying For...Oakley...that she will be a kind, charitable, compassionate person...that she will pursue spiritual and secular scholarship for a better life on earth and in heaven...that those in authority over her will nurture and teach with gentleness and the pure love of Christ...that leaders of nations will protect the sanctity of the family and the innocence of children to their utmost ability...that her neighbors locally and internationally will stop contending and vying for power...let there be peace on earth and let it begin with...

Jesus' Word..."To every thing there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven...a time to weep, and a time to laugh; a time to mourn, and a time to dance," Ecclesiastes 3:1,4. I prayed for the peaceful passing of my dear grandmother. When she finally slipped from this life, sadness enveloped me.  Both peculiar and unexpected, I threw myself into funeral preparations. With all the family in town, I enjoyed the party like atmosphere that accompanies funerals in our family. At the service, the minister was so negative and depressing; this was perplexing considering the lovely Christian life she led. I'll ever be grateful that I was asked to speak along with Aunt Dean and Cousin Brian in celebration of her beautiful example of Christian charity and kindness. I don't look on death as an enemy or curse, because I believe in the atoning gift of resurrection. Death isn't the end.

Bibliophilia...Sent both Sammy and Oakley The Doll Shop Downstairs. I don't know how I missed this one, when my girls were small, but it's a delightful read. I'm looking forward to exploring more titles from this author.

Cucina Fresca...I'm experimenting with different grains the rice cooker. So far everything I've tried tastes better than on the stove top. My homemade rice milk is easy to prepare and quite delicious. This week I'm going to try making hot cereal overnight with the timer method: steel cut oats, polenta, kashi, rice, quinoa, millet, and amaranth. Grains are so health giving and delicious. In addition to making all these grains with fruit as a sweet start, I'll make some savory breakfast grain/veggie dishes like the South Indian or Italian dishes below. With a green smoothie and a bowl of whole grains, I'm good to go for hours and hours.

1 c red or brown rice + water according to cooker
1 clove garlic, pressed
1/2 t mustard seeds
1 mild green chilie, minced
1/2 purple onion, minced
1 Yukon gold potato, small dice
1-2 c green cabbage, 1 inch dice
1/2 t turmeric
4-5 curry leaves
1/4 cup fresh cilantro, minced for garnish
fresh lemon, for garnish

In a hot dry skillet, pop mustard seeds. As soon as they crackle, add onion, garlic, and green chilies, cooking until onions are translucent. Add turmeric and curry leaves, cooking for a minute or two. Add everything to the rice cooker, and set for desired breakfast time. In the morning, put rice in bowls, and sprinkle with fresh chopped cilantro and lemon juice. A mango, orange, pineapple, and moringa smoothie seems appropriate here.

Put sun dried tomatoes, kale, dry sautéed onion and garlic, parsley, rice milk, and polenta (or rice or millet) in the rice cooker. In the morning top with basil and lemon juice. Serve with spinach and berry smoothie.

Also going to explore cooking small legumes this way for breakfast.

Dr. Ginger, Medicine Woman...(no doctor of any kind, just a student of natural, nutritional herbalism) sometimes the best plans don't work...with all the fatigue and exposure to germs I had for the last few weeks, I got very ill. I'm still struggling. None of the usual players helped much at all. That's really ok, though. Sometimes, we need to slow down and enjoy the journey. I only hope I recover, since I was so enjoying the added measure of health. If not I know God has something special in store for me.

Garden Gate...even though I was sicker than a dog, I got my trees and bushes in the ground: espalier apples, mangos, mulberry bushes (not trees), gogis, guandulas, tree collard, curry, and lots of herbs. Still want to plant bay, loquat, cherry, peach, nectarine, star fruit, more moringas, fig, pear, grape, more citrus, flowers, asparagus, sweet potato, and annual veggies. With this plan, we have a mostly perennial greens, beans, and fruit subsistence garden, which we don't actually need to subsist upon. Even so, I want to produce as much of my own food as I can. Dwarf plants make this goal possible in a small area. Soooooo glad we have a yard man that doesn't mind coming by to dig the holes, which is currently way out of my fitness level.