"Beam-ectomy should precede all mote micro-surgery. Just saying." Ginger Conrad paraphrasing Jesus Christ.

Paradigm Shift

“The list of health problems I think it would very hard to live with is SO much longer than the list of foods I previously thought I couldn’t live without,” Merrill Alley.

Friday, August 7, 2015

instruction manual

This year Visiting Teaching messages focus on the attributes of the Savior. This month, we focus on meekness, which is vital for us to become more Christlike. Without it we won't be able to develop other important virtues. Being meek does not mean weakness, but it does mean behaving with goodness and kindness, showing strength, serenity, healthy self-worth, and self-control.

One of the sweetest and most powerful moments of Christ's ministry was when He washed the feet of His disciples. "He riseth from supper, and laid aside his garments; and took a towel, and girded himself. After that he poureth water into a basin, and began to wash the disciples' feet, and to wipe them with the towel wherewith he was girded" (John 13:45).

As the Savior introduced this ordinance, the disciples may have been overwhelmed that their Lord and Master knelt before them and performed so meek a service. Jesus then explained the lessons He wanted them and all of us to learn:

"If I then, your Lord and Master, have washed your feet; ye also ought to wash one another's feet. For I have given you an example, that ye should do as I have done to you" (John 13:1415).

Striving to act with meekness and humility, we learn to love as the Savior did. Although I'm miles away from this goal, it is easier for me to behave with goodness, kindness, strength, serenity, self-worth, and self-control, when I remember Jesus example. This brings me to my major concerns of family, life, love, and my fellow men. It used to seem so hard to follow the commandments and try to be like Jesus. I'm not saying it's not still a mighty effort, but somehow knowing that all this was designed for me to be happier and reach my goals makes the doing much, much easier. It's like God says, 'Oh, you're ready to be happy are you? Well, then just follow the instructions in the scriptures. It is the human happiness instruction manual.'